Personalized Registration Plates
- The owner of a vehicle of the following classes may apply for Personalized Registration Plates: Class “A” (passenger cars), Class “D” (Motorcycle), Class “E” (Trucks, 1 ton or less), Class “G” (Non-freight Trailer) Class “M” (Multi-purpose vehicles), Class “L” (Historic), and Class “N” (Street Rod). Disability personalized plates are available for Class “A” (passenger cars), Class “E” (Trucks, 1 ton or less), and Class “M” (Multi-purpose vehicles).
- A Personalized registration plate may consist of any combination of not more than seven (7) letters, numbers and spaces. Motorcycle and Individual with a Disability personalized plates may consist of any combination of not more than six (6) letters, numbers and spaces.
- A personalized plate may not contain any symbol, diagram, slash or other character.
- An additional annual fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) is payable with the original and each subsequent renewal application. For a two (2) year registration or renewal, the fee is one hundred dollars ($100.00). This additional fee may not be prorated. There will be an additional $20.00 fee for substitute special registration plates.
- A personalized plate issued shall be reserved from registration year to registration year provided that the applicant renews the special registration within six (6) months of expiration and pays all applicable fees.
- An application for Disability personalized plates must be accompanied by a completed Application for Maryland Parking Placards/License Plates for Individuals with a Disability (VR-210), signed by a certified licensed physician, chiropractor, optometrist, podiatrist, nurse practitioner, physician’s assistant, physical therapist or a copy of the current certification.
- The application for personalized plates must be accompanied by a copy of the current registration card.
- A historic motor vehicle 60 years or older, which displays a permanent registration, does not qualify for personalized plates since an annual registration fee is not collected.
- To apply for Chesapeake Bay/Agriculture license plates, complete a VR-302. The application and additional information are available from MVA’s website www.mva.maryland.gov and at all full service branches. There is an additional $20.00 fee upon issuance and a $10.00 per year renewal fee in addition to the annual registration fee.
- The Administration has authority to limit or reject certain requests for special registration plates.
- Effective October 1, 2015, Historic and Street Rod vehicles manufactured at least 50 years before the current model year will be issued “one plate” to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
Call or Drop By!
We're happy to answer any questions you may have.
Chat With Us
If you do not find what you need, please contact us directly OR Ask Kirsten below!