New to Maryland?
IMPORTANT TAX CREDIT INFORMATION: As a new resident in Maryland, in order to comply the law and to take advantage of a lower excise tax, you must title and register your vehicle[s] within 60-days of declaring residency in Maryland. Because each state and each lien holder handle their titles differently, do not delay titling and registering your vehicles beyond 60-days or you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state. That means paying the same excise tax twice; once in the state you purchased the motor vehicle/trailer and again in Maryland. Additionally, you may also be subject to a citation for an out-of-state registration.
DOCUMENTS FOR TITLING AND REGISTERING YOUR VEHICLE IN MD: The MVA requires most if not all of the documents we have listed below. Additionally, the MVA requires that the documents be original and/or properly notarized [if applicable].
- Certificate of Title,
- Lease Agreement [if applicable],
- Complete Lien Information [if applicable],
- Lien Release [if applicable],
- Maryland License/Soundex Number,
- Completed Application for Certificate of Title,
- Temporary Inspection Waiver [if applicable]
- MD Safety Inspection Certificate,
- Maryland Insurance Information,
- Proof of Vehicle’s Value,
- Power of Attorney.
FEES COLLECTED FOR THE MVA: Diversified Title & Tag Service does not receive any portion of these fees what-so-ever!
- Maryland Excise Tax,
- Title Fee,
- Lien Fee [if applicable]
- Registration Fees
CUSTOMER WALKS WITH: After all documents have been processed and the MVA approves the transaction
- Registration Card
- Registration Stickers
- Title is mailed to the address of record from the Glen Burnie MVA
How Maryland Excise Tax is Calculated
VEHICLE[S] LESS THAN 7 YEARS OLD:
- Vehicle[s] titled in a state w/tax rate equal to or higher than Maryland [6%]: MD Excise Tax is $100.
- Vehicle[s] titled in a state that imposes no tax: MD Excise Tax is 6% of the value of the vehicle.
- Vehicle[s] titled in a state w/tax rate lower than Maryland [6%]: MD Excise Tax is the difference between the two states [Minimum $100.00].
VEHICLE[S] 7 YEARS OLD OR OLDER:
- The minimum excise tax for cars & trucks purchased for $640 and less is $38.40,
- The minimum excise tax for motorcycles & trailers purchased for $320 and less is $19.20,
- All vehicles with the purchase price above the minimum; the purchase price will be multiplied by 6%,
- The MVA may require you to submit additional documentation to substantiate the purchase price.
- This documentation is needed to determine the amount of excise tax credit you may receive.
- Lease agreement,
- Proof of monthly lease payments,
- Proof of any excise taxes paid or are paying to another state through lease payment