Maryland law requires that you must return your license plates and get an MVA receipt before you cancel your vehicle or trailers insurance. A fine of $150 for the first month and $7 per day may be imposed until the issue is resolved. And, under certain circumstances you may be eligible for a partial refund.
The MVA Provides Options to Return Tags
- Return them to any MVA authorized tag and title service.
- Return them in person to any MVA branch office including express offices.
- Drop boxes with 24-hour access are located at the Baltimore City, Columbia, Gaithersburg, Glen Burnie, and Salisbury offices.
- Mail them to the Glen Burnie MVA office. Sending them by certified mail with return receipt requested is recommended.
- Include registration card if possible,
- Include application for refund If more than 12-months registration time remaining,
- Include certified statement w/police report # if one or two tags are lost or stolen.
How Long Will It Take to Receive a Refund?
Your refund is prepared by the Comptroller’s Office in Annapolis. You should receive the refund within 6 weeks of returning the license plates.
Call or Drop By!
Chat With Us
MON-FRI:9AM-3:30PM Until Further Notice
SAT:Closed Until Further Notice